I assume you already red Communication with demons article so you know what to expect, now we can move on to some details.
Invocation is the main technique of summoning demons used by satanists and demonolators. Before discussing details, let’s see what invocation is and how does it differs from evocation.
An invocation (from the Latin verb invocare “to call on, invoke, to give”) is a magickal act in which we invite (politely) a spiritual entity to come. Invocation can take also a form of a prayer. During that process we open ourselves to spiritual energy of an entity, allowing for natural, unrestricted communication, exchange of energies, sometimes merging of consciousnesses. If a circle is created during ritual (not always), it is used for balancing of energies, creating a suitable environment for magician and summoned entity. Both are within circle.
An invocation suggests: free, unrestricted exchange, politeness, respect, closeness, made on positive emotions.
An evocation (from Latin word evocatio was the “calling forth” or “summoning away”) – is a magical act of commanding, forcing, threatening (with names and symbols – usually of Christianity) spiritual entity. Circle is created here every time to protect magician from summoned entity/energy and to bound, restrict entity within it. Magician is in that case outside the circle, demon inside.
An evocation suggests: fear, restriction, forceful domination based on negative emotions.
Remember, old grimoires are written from christian point of view so all rituals there are evocations. Satanists don’t use them but there is no problem with using such references, information and others to transform them into your invocation ritual.
An invocation is most natural method of summoning demons (or any entity) and in opposition to evocation, it doesn’t create unnecessary tension and boundaries, which restrict flow of an energy. An evocation on the other hand requires a lot of energy and results are weak in comparison to opposite method. An invocation instead is or could be very simple and powerful. Because of that evocation isn’t only used by satanists to summon demons, but is also used by Christians or christian occultists to summon angels. There is simply no better technique that yields such results. Satanists don’t have to protect themselves from demons so they can summon demons as easily as christian occultists angels.
The catch by the method of invocation in case of demons is, you need to let go completely of christian dualistic beliefs and notion of demons, otherwise your subconscious convictions cause unpleasant results. So you need to have complete satanic beliefs, positive attitude toward Satan and demons, then you will be able to work safely and receive satisfactory results.
There are several ways of performing invocation:
1) An invocation ritual
This is most complicated method but it is recommended for newbies who begin their journey through theistic satanism and/or demonoltry. It is also used by more advanced practitioners during celebration rites or by more special occasions, or if believed that this is the most proper way to do it. Below I place an exemplary, relatively simplistic ritual (for beginners) proposed by the TG (Traditional Demonolators) from demonolatry.org.
Every proper ritual has 3 phases: a beginning, a body ritual, an end.
a) Beginning – Chose a proper place, clean it so you would feel that this is not an ordinary occasion. Prepare all needed ritual utensils. Place four candles north, east, south, west (could be of any color, although I prefer black ones, but you can have one of each corresponding color) on each quarters of the circle. Altar is in the middle (more or less) of the circle, directed north or any direction you find suitable for that occasion.
When you are ready, begin north invoking earth energy by calling on earth elemental demon of your choosing, for example Belial. Take deep breaths, relax mentally and physically. Take dagger/athame/stick/finger, point it upwards (at the sky) and draw in front of you ZD sigil as shown above on the picture, visualizing energy lines creating the symbol, reciting at the same time enn: Lirach Tasa Vefa Wehlic, Belial. You can repeat the enn three times. Imagine earth, its energy, feeling, entering the circle, creating it. Then you turn east and invoke air energy by calling upon Lucifer (or any air elemental demon of your choosing). Repeat previous step using Lucifer’s enn: Renich Tasa Uberaca Biasa Icar, Lucifer. Then visualize air energy, its feeling, entering the circle and creating it. Correspondingly you do the same south for fire (Flereous – Ganic Tasa fubin, Flereous.) and west for water (Leviathan – Jedan Tasa hoet naca, Leviathan.). In the center invoke Satan (Tasa reme laris Satan) as fifth element, the spirit, combining and balancing all elements together. Then you invoke chosen demon in the middle using his/her enn in similar way as by elements.
b) Body ritual – That’s up to you, depends on what you want to achieve. You can write down your wishes, burn them, channel demon, draw picture/sigil or burn one, dance, sing, meditate, work with energy, visualize, have sex, make sacrifice, etc.
c) End – Thank demon and all other elemental demons for being present and hearing you out, say goodbye, extinguish candles with fingers or candle extinguished (don’t blow off!).
For demonic enns see this article.
It’s good to write your all impressions, feelings and thoughts down. They may vary strongly, no ritual is the same. Depending on your focus and sensibility, you can achieve full, clear contact or slight, unclear impressions, in such case don’t worry. You will succeed with patience and motivation. Don’t try too hard. A ritual should be serious but also fun! Be creative. Your attitude must be light, only then you will be able to hear, sense demons. Ask them that you want to have clear answers and for the confirmation if you have doubts, it may come in few days or quicker.
Many advanced magick users do rituals and create circle differently. Instead 4 points circle (based on square) you can base it on pentagram or triangle. Some practitioners report that the energy of shapes does matter here so a square offers very stable energy, a circle a balanced one, a triangle very intense one (don’t recommended for beginners). You can have shapes within shapes so for example four point circle encompassing triangle based altar (points of a figure are made by candles). With experience and confidence you can create your own rituals which work the best.
Of course it’s good to follow general rules of ritual magick here. So for example: be rested. If you are exhausted, schedule ritual for different time (although there are some rituals that require to be fatigued mentally, probably because mind easier detaches itself from physical then, however control and focus drops down). Don’t eat too much and shortly before ritual (small fast could be a good idea if you are not distracted by hunger, otherwise light meal is the best way to go; sometimes food sacrifice is a part of a ritual – every rule has some exceptions), heavy stomach distracts, also digestion holds our energy more in physical range, so spiritual experiences may be harder to obtain if you are new to this. It’s good to darken the ritual space and let be lighted mostly by candles, but rituals can be also done with full light, loud music. Whatever takes you in proper mood.
2) A prayer – could be enough to initiate a contact – yes! it is sometimes so simple! Prayer could be also a part of body ritual. The form and words of a prayer are up to you.
3) A simple mental invitation – With time, experience or talent you may receive connection with chosen demon at any moment easily just by asking him/her in thoughts or even just by thinking about him/her! Or you may have easiness to connect in such way with certain demons while with others you must take more work. Some demons are easier, some harder to get in touch with, depends on person, there is no rule here. For example, when starting a tarot session I ask Vassago to come and I ask for clarity and accuracy of reading. I receive message that he is there, then I begin, as simple as that! Sometimes I am asked about certain demon and immediately I hear this demon answering me, I receive additional information mentally. It’s not always like that but it happens. Understand that with time communication with demons will be coming easily and naturally, if it isn’t already.
4) If the above mentioned methods of summoning demons aren’t doing anything for you, you may try a different one (as I said, there are many ways of obtaining the same result). Read my article about Satanic Astral Temple for more info!
Remember, demons can hear you mentally unrestricted so you can’t hide anything. But they don’t have ego like we do so they don’t judge, don’t react exactly like people. They may seemingly sound and react humanly at first glance, but they don’t get angry, resentful, scared, jealous. If they do, then you are not talking with demon only with lesser energy (residue after living person) or there is a chance you’re making it up… However, demons may give you kick in some way. It is known for some to experience small electric discharges if you violate the agreement (like: you oblige to drop smoking yet you had moment of weakness) to make you remember. They are not fairies ;) so they can be blunt.
When speaking to demons, there is no reason to worry about wording, demons read our intentions and understand our thoughts and emotions better then we do. And they do have sense of humor. So relax, let go of fear and allow demons to merge with your energy. In time and frequent contacts with demons you may notice you have changed and behave more like them.
How to choose a proper demon? There are few methods:
- Study the literature, take all demons that sound helpful with your matter and analyze your feelings about his/her name, enn, sigil. Choose one that appeals to you the most. If you still have no clue, try to contact with each of them. The most proper one creates immediate, strong, clear connection, creating feeling of excitement.
- Trust your feelings. If you are fascinated in certain demon, there is a high chance he/she represents things in which you are strong and… weak (great chance to learn). Or you may just know which one is best for the occasion.
- Demon chooses you. You feel very strong attraction or something calls you, you feel personal energy calling for your attention. You find clues, events, “coincidences” that raise your interest in a demon.
- Ask mentally, which demon would be most suitable in given situation and wait for response. When it comes, ask for name. In that way often you meet demons that are not mentioned in literature. Don’t worry. There are thousands of thousands of thousands demons and more. In literature we meet only fraction of them so it’s not surprising if a “new” demon answers.